Before General Anesthesia
Prior to your dental surgery you will have the opportunity to address any concerns you might have during your pre-op appointment. We encourage you to ask questions and make us aware of any fears you might have. Our main goal is to create a secure, comfortable environment for our patients on the day of surgery so the more you communicate with us, the easier we can accommodate your needs. The following guidelines are meant to serve as reminders in helping you prepare for your dental surgery. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our practice.
Leading Up to the Day of Surgery
- Fasting must begin at midnight the night before surgery for patients with a morning appointment. If your child has an afternoon appointment, do not allow them to eat anything 8 hours prior to their scheduled dental surgery.
- While fasting, the patient may only drink clear fluids (Ex: water, apple juice, and sports drinks). Beverages that are not allowed to be consumed are orange juice, milk, and other opaque drinks. Patients should avoid drinking all fluids within 6 hours of their surgery. If you are unsure about what can and cannot be consumed, please ask Dr. Lenhart during your pre-op phone consultation.
Day of Surgery
- The patient must have a parent or guardian present for the extent of their surgery. All patients are required to have a driver take them home after their appointment, and we prefer that they are accompanied by someone for at least 12 hours after their surgery.
- We prefer that the patient wear loose, comfortable clothing and that you bring a blanket. Bring a change of clothes and place child in a diaper or pull-up if they use them.
- After surgery, Dr. Lenhart will review the recovery process.
If your child has any changes in their health the morning of their appointment, please contact the practice immediately. A cold or fever with chest and sinus congestion may dangerously affect surgery so it is imperative that our practice is made aware of the situation. If it is necessary to reschedule your appointment, we will notify you.